Northwest onion storage supplies remain on pace to be depleted sooner than normal. Elevated markets will persist as suppliers work to extend supply.
- Northwest storage onion quality remains adequate overall; however, occasional internal defects such as translucency, dryness, and watery scale may be seen
- Size profile in remaining storage stocks continues to run small, with medium sizes dominating remaining volume
- There is a significant price gap of $8.00 to $10.00 between yellow medium and yellow jumbo onions
- Medium-size yellow onions make a viable substitution option for a No. 2 jumbo yellows
- Mexican onions (crossings into South Texas) are limited this week, as rain hit the Tampico growing area at the end of last week; pricing remains elevated
- Yields will improve as no rain is forecast through the end of February
- White and yellow onion volume is sufficient; limited numbers of red onions are being crossed into the U.S.
- Fresh-run onions have feathery skins and light color/exterior skins compared to Northwest storage onions (photos attached)
- Texas-grown onions are on track to hit the market the week of March 9
- California/Imperial Valley onions are slated to start shipping mid-April
- The New Mexico season will open in early June
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.