Northwest onion demand maintains strong. Storage supplies are still on pace to run out sooner than normal. Elevated prices persist.
- Northwest storage onion quality remains average overall; however, occasional internal defects such as translucency, dryness, and watery scale may be seen
- Remaining storage stock size runs small
- Medium sizes dominate remaining volume
- A significant price gap of $8.00 to $10.00 remains between medium and jumbo onions
- Mexican supplies (crossing into South Texas) have increased, but rain is forecast for the latter part of this week; packing will be delayed
- White and yellow onion volume is adequate; limited numbers of red onions have begun to cross into the U.S.
- Fresh-run onions have feathery skins and light color/exterior skins compared to Northwest storage onions (photos attached)
- Texas-grown onions are expected to enter the market the week of March 9
- California/Imperial Valley onions are estimated to start shipping in mid-April
- The New Mexico season will begin in early June
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.