Effective Saturday, February 12 2022, the United States government has temporarily suspended avocado imports from the Mexican state of Michoacan. This decision comes after a USDA inspector, working in Michoacan, received a threatening call to their cell phone. Mexican Law Enforcement authorities are working with USDA to find a solution to ensure USDA staff members safety and resume activities ASAP.
- Inventories of Mexican avocados vary based on supplier
- Many have fruit in route that was shipped prior to the suspension
- If this persists longer than 2-3 days, supplies will become increasingly limited
- California production is ramping up, supplies are expected to tighten considerably as demand shifts west
- Markets are expected to strengthen until the suspension is lifted
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.