Melon markets are higher due to increased demand and fewer overall shipments to the West Coast from Central America.
- Imported honeydews continue shipping out of Guatemala into Florida and California
- West Coast availability is limited this week due to increased retail demand
- Shipments are dominated by large sizes (five- and six-count melons); smaller sizes are in short supply this late in the season
- Mexican volume remains low; rains and cool weather have stunted growth and delayed the planting of the new crop
- Markon recommends ordering large sizes over the next three weeks ensure order fulfillment
- Expect markets to climb over the next four weeks as Guatemalan supplies trend downward
- Imported cantaloupes continue shipping out of Guatemala
- Overall quality is good
- Supplies are dominated by large sizes (9- and 12 -count cantaloupes)
- 12-count and smaller sizes are tight as the offshore season winds down
- Markon recommends size flexibility over the next two to three weeks
- Higher markets are expected over the next three weeks due to reduced West Coast shipments
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.