Extremely low temperatures are forecast in Eastern Idaho for next week. The cold weather will affect potato production and delay loading times. Prices will rise.
- Temperatures need to be 18°F or higher for five to seven hours to haul potatoes from cellars to packing sheds
- Growers do not ship potatoes to packing sheds when temperatures are below 18°F because that can cause internal and external bruising as well as black skins and flesh (located on the outer edges of potatoes and just under their skins)
- Loading delays are likely due to short production windows; advanced lead-time is highly recommended for order fulfillment
- Many suppliers will utilize onsite storage to cover orders
- Some sizes may be limited
- Prices will rise
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.