Sufficient supplies of Markon First Crop (MFC) Idaho Burbank and Norkotah Potatoes are available.
- Larger supplies (40- through 50-count stocks) are tight; 90- through 100-count sizes are meeting demand
- Quality remains excellent for both varieties; pack-outs favor No. 1 quality, with limited No. 2 availability
- Prices are expected to climb as Norkotah stocks wind down in late May; Burbanks will be the sole variety for the rest of the season
- Limited Burbank stocks are expected to ship through mid- to late July
- Excessive snow and low temperatures have affected new crop planting start dates
- Growers will begin planting in the western area near Boise in late April (two weeks later than their usual start date of mid-April)
- The southern region near Twin Falls will start later next week (planting is on schedule)
- The eastern side is expected to start production the first week of May (one week later than their normal start date late April)
- Growers are hoping to see spring-like weather in April in order to get the crop completely planted by May
- Norkotah harvesting and packing would normally begin in early to mid-August; this two-week delay in new crop planting could potentially delay harvests later in the summer
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved