Idaho’s potato harvest is now complete; overall demand is strong. Expect markets to increase over the next few weeks.
- With harvesting now complete, growers can control supply levels and hold back shipments to push prices upward
- Added demand from potato processors is affecting markets; many processors are offering to pay suppliers well above the current market levels
- Strong retail demand for the Thanksgiving holiday will also add pressure to the market
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Norkotah Potatoes are being shipped out of storage
- MFC Burbank Potato volume will be placed in storage sheds until the sweat process is complete
- Burbank supplies will undergo the sweat process to shed excess moisture after being harvested
- The process lasts approximately three to four weeks or until the outer skin is cured sufficiently
- After the sweat process is complete, skins will have a smooth, net-like appearance
- MFC Burbank Potatoes will begin shipping from storage the week of October 31
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.