Idaho storage potato supplies continue tighten. The Norkotah crop has been depleted.
- Burbanks will be the sole variety on the market until new crop Norkotahs become available in August
- Prices are up as suppliers continue to work to extend remaining stocks
- All counts will remain limited until new crop production begins
- Some suppliers do foresee a potential 7-14 day gap in early August
- Pressure and shoulder bruising, along with hollow heart, will be seen sporadically in remaining storage supplies
- Pressure and shoulder bruising (soft, external indents) result from constant contact with adjacent potatoes, or the floor, while raw product sits in storage piles
- Hollow heart (small, irregularly shaped internal craters) develops internally during the season when potatoes grow faster than normal due to adverse weather
- New crop Norkotah harvesting is expected to begin in early August
Please contact your Markon customer service representative.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.