Idaho storage potato supplies continue tighten. Norkotahs will be depleted by June 10.
- Burbanks will be the sole variety on the market until new crop Norkotahs become available in August
- Prices have strengthened as suppliers continue to work to extend remaining stocks
- Pressure and shoulder bruising, along with hollow heart, will be seen sporadically in remaining storage supplies
- Pressure and shoulder bruising (soft, external indents) result from constant contact with adjacent potatoes, or the floor, while raw product sits in storage piles
- Hollow heart (small, irregularly shaped internal craters) develops internally during the season when potatoes grow faster than normal due to adverse weather
- 40- and 50-count stocks are adequate
- 60- through 80-count supplies are limited
- 90– through 120-count potatoes are readily available
- 2022/2023 new crop potato planting has been completed
- New crop Norkotah harvesting is expected to begin in early August
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.