Idaho storage potato supplies have tightened, as the remaining Norkotah crop will be completed the first week of June.
- Idaho Norkotah potatoes are expected to be depleted by June 3
- Burbanks will be the sole variety on the market until new crop, field run, Norkotahs become available in early August
- Expect prices to strengthen as suppliers work to extend remaining stocks
- 40- and 50-count stocks are adequate
- 60- through 80-count supplies are limited
- 90– through 120-count potatoes are readily available
- Pressure and shoulder bruising, along with hollow heart, will be seen sporadically in remaining storage supplies (both Norkotahs and Burbanks)
- Pressure and shoulder bruising (soft, external indents) result from constant contact with adjacent potatoes, or the floor, while raw product sits in storage piles
- Hollow heart (small, irregularly shaped internal craters) develops internally during the season when potatoes grow faster than normal due to adverse weather
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.