Markon First Crop (MFC) Idaho Burbank Potatoes are available. Storage crop MFC Norkotah Potatoes are expected to be depleted May 16.
- Overall supplies have tightened as the remaining Norkotah crop begins to wind down
- Expect prices to strengthen through the end of the storage season
- 40- and 50-count stocks are adequate
- 60- through 80-count supplies are limited
- 90– through 120-count potatoes are readily available
- Quality is good: pressure and shoulder bruising, along with hollow heart, will be seen sporadically in remaining storage supplies (both Norkotahs and Burbanks)
- Pressure and shoulder bruising (soft, external indents) results from constant contact with adjacent potatoes, or the floor, while raw product sits in storage piles
- Hollow heart (small, irregularly shaped internal craters) develops internally during the season when potatoes grow faster than normal due to adverse weather
- 2022/2023 new crop potato planting started in April and will be finished in a couple of weeks
- New crop Norkotah harvesting is expected to begin in early August
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.