Tropical Storm Norma made landfall Monday morning near the city of Culiacan, located in the Western Mexican state of Sinaloa. The storm brought heavy rains, strong winds, and floodings to a primary winter growing region known for bell peppers, cucumbers, green beans, and tomatoes.
- Tropical Storm Norma brought 16-20” of heavy rain to Culiacan, 12” to 18” to La Cruz, and 11-13” to Guasave
- Crews are diligently working to drain fields and help salvage plants
- Strong winds damaged some shade cloth which will require repairs
- Replanting will occur in some areas which will cause delays for winter crops
- Some earlier planted green bean crops, intended for Thanksgiving demand, may be lost
- Other crops such as bell peppers and cucumbers may require topical applications to prevent viruses
- Markon will continue to monitor and update as more information becomes available
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.