The green onion market continues to rise rapidly. Persistently elevated temperatures are leading to low yields in the primary growing region of Mexicali, Mexico.
- Hot weather without nighttime cooling relief has led to warmer-than-normal ground temperatures, increasing thrip/pest pressure and reduced yields
- Extreme monsoonal pressure (hot, humid, stormy, and windy weather) has brought with it even tougher growing conditions
- Increased inspections at the Southern U.S. border have caused delays in border crossing times, further hampering inbound supplies
- Rapid growth combined with lower yields have limited harvestable onions; planting/cutting ahead risks affecting winter production
- Expect elevated markets through mid-September
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.