The green onion market is escalating. Persistently elevated temperatures are leading to low yields in the primary growing region of Mexicali, Mexico.
- Ready-Set-Serve Green Onions are available
- Elevated daytime temperatures experienced over the past month, combined with higher-than-average nighttime temperatures, have lowered yields and accelerated growth
- Hot weather without nighttime cooling relief has led to warmer-than-normal ground temperatures, increasing thrip/pest pressure
- Labor has been difficult to source, with harvesting made more complicated by the recent heat and reduced trucking capacity
- Logistically, there are delays in border crossing times due to increased inspections at the Southern U.S. border, further hampering inbound supplies
- Limited harvestable onions are the result of rapid growth combined with lower yields
- September temperatures are forecast to be closer to seasonal averages
- Expect elevated markets for the next four weeks at minimum
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.