Demand for green onions remains strong, far exceeding supply. Industry volume is down 50-70% due to storm activity.
- Ready Set Serve Green Onions are limited; packer label is being substituted as necessary
- Thunderstorms in Mexicali, Mexico (the primary growing region) slowed deliveries due to power outages, flooded fields, and hail-damaged crops
- Muddy, wet fields have slowed harvesting; wet onions arriving over the weekend showed increased quality issues such as decay, softness, and early breakdown
- Reports of entire ranches being completely lost due to hail damage and flooding have placed further stress on the market
- Prices are climbing and will remain elevated through October
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.