Iceberg prices are rapidly rising. Green leaf and romaine markets are inching up.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Premium Green Leaf and Romaine are available
- MFC Premium Iceberg is sporadic; Markon Best Available (MBA) is being substituted as needed
- Weather fluctuations and increased disease pressure are challenging Salinas Valley yields and carton weights
- Cooler-than-normal temperatures are forecast over the next two weeks; field growth will slow, further limiting supplies
- Disease pressure, including Impatiens Necrotic Spot Virus and Sclerotinia, is more prominent at this point in the season, reducing harvestable yields; harvesting crews are culling affected heads from final packs
- Quality is good: limited amounts of fringe burn, internal burn, mildew pressure, and seeder are being detected at the field level
- Iceberg harvesting will begin in Huron in mid- to late October; green leaf, iceberg, and romaine production will begin in the Arizona/California desert by early to mid- November
- Most suppliers are holding contracts to averages
- Expect elevated markets through October
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2021 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.