Supplies are sufficient in the Arizona/California desert growing region. Markon First Crop (MFC) Iceberg Lettuce is sporadic; Markon Best Available (MBA) will be substituted as needed due to low case weights as we enter February.
- Yields are down slightly recently amid rain, moderate-to-strong winds, and freezing temperatures
- Some varieties of iceberg lettuce have been particularly affected, forcing suppliers to sporadically skip harvest days to allow head size to increase
- Quality is fair; epidermal blistering, fringe burn, and weak tip are present in some lots but are largely being reduced by trimming outer leaves at harvest
- Expect reduced case weights until warmer weather spurs growth in early to mid-February
- Prices will inch higher over the next 5-7 days then level out through mid-February
Green Leaf and Romaine Lettuce
MFC Green Leaf and Romaine Lettuces are available. Supplies are ample in the Arizona/California desert growing region.
- Despite weather challenges, quality remains strong
- Fringe burn, epidermal blistering/peeling, and weak tip are present in some finished packs but are largely being reduced by trimming outer leaves at harvest
- Elevated insect pressure has been noted in some lots from California’s Imperial Valley region
- Abundant supplies are allowing suppliers to carefully choose lots, keeping prices steady
- Expect markets to remain steady at depressed levels over the next 10-14 days
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.