Iceberg markets are inching down as West Coast supplies continue to increase. Romaine volume remains stable despite sporadic quality challenges. Green leaf markets are steady at low levels; supplies are ample.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Premium Green Leaf is readily available
- Harvesting crews are trimming heads to avoid insect damage, mildew, and wind damage
- Green leaf markets are expected to remain steady at low levels through mid-September, at minimum
- MFC Premium Iceberg is sporadic; Markon Best Available (MBA) is being substituted as needed when weights do not meet specifications
- Harvesting crews are culling heads with bottom rot, mildew, and sclerotinia
- Iceberg demand remains focused strongly on the West Coast; supplies from Mexico into South Texas are increasing though they remain limited
- Market declines are expected to flatten out next week; prices should remain fairly steady through mid-September
- MFC Premium Romaine is limited; MBA is being substituted due to quality defects and/or light weights
- Harvesting crews are trimming heads to avoid insect damage, mildew, and wind damage; many lots are exhibiting fog and/or internal burn and seeder
- Romaine markets are expected to remain at steady at low levels through mid-September despite wide-spread quality issues as stocks are abundant
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.