Green leaf and romaine prices are fairly steady; supplies are meeting current demand. Iceberg markets continue to rise.
Green Leaf and Romaine
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Premium Green Leaf and Romaine are readily available
- Green leaf and romaine quality is very good; fog burn, fringe burn, and internal burn are present in some lots, but being trimmed at harvest
- Markets are expected to remain flat into July
- MFC Premium Iceberg is currently being packed; Markon Best Available (MBA) may be substituted due to low weights
- Persistently cold weather in many parts of the Salinas Valley is hindering iceberg growth; quality is strong apart from light weights in some lots
- Iceberg demand is poised to shift to California from Guanajuato and Querétaro, Mexico, as extremely high temperatures are starting to reduce quality and limit production
- The iceberg market is expected to continue inching up this week, with the potential to continue for multiple weeks, pending yields in Guanajuato and Querétaro, Mexico
- Value-added suppliers in California are watching averages due to increased demand shifting from Mexico
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.