The Arizona and California desert growing regions are winding down for the season. Green leaf, iceberg, and romaine markets are poised to rise as transition to Huron, Oxnard, and Salinas, California begins.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Green Leaf, Iceberg, and Romaine are available; Markon Best Available (MBA) is being substituted as needed due to elevated insect pressure
- Many suppliers extended their seasons in the Arizona and California desert regions to mitigate supply gaps in Salinas caused by excessive rains and flooding in January and March
- Cooler-than-normal temperatures forecast next week in the Arizona and California desert regions will help maintain quality of remaining product
- Production in Huron and Oxnard, California will start next week
- The majority of harvests in the Salinas Valley will begin in mid-April; some suppliers will start iceberg as late as the second week of May due to inclement weather delaying the season
- Initial lots in Huron, Oxnard, and Salinas, California are expected to be packed in MBA due to low weights as temperatures continue to be unseasonably cool
- Expect active markets through transition to Huron, Oxnard, and Salinas, California growing regions
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.