Green leaf, iceberg, and romaine supplies remain extremely limited; record-high market levels persist. Rain in Huron, Oxnard, Salinas, and Santa Maria on Monday November 7 and Tuesday November 8 has further tightened remaining supply. Suppliers of all three commodities have not been able to fulfill 100% of their weekly contract commitments or regular open-market business over the past six weeks.
- Production in Oxnard, Salinas and Santa Maria, California will continue through next week; Huron production is anticipated to finish this week
- Quality challenges including bottom rot, mildew pressure, premature pinking, and shortened shelf life may be observed in finished packs following the recent rain events
- Many suppliers started harvest in the desert regions of Yuma, Arizona and Imperial Valley, California this week; production will continue to ramp up over the next two weeks
- Initial quality in the Arizona/California desert regions is very good; light weights, seeder, and wind damage are present in some of the first lots
- Expect markets to remain firm through the end of this week; markets will begin to soften next week as supplies in the Arizona/California desert increase
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.