California green leaf, iceberg, and romaine supplies have been impacted by disease pressure and higher-than-normal temperatures, particularly in South Salinas Valley. Prices are rising.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Premium Green Leaf is available; Markon Best Available (MBA) is being substituted due to low case weights and quality concerns
- Warm weather, particularly in southern Salinas Valley, has resulted in dense heads, fringe burn, pest pressure, and weak tip, reducing harvestable yields and shelf-life
- Mildew pressure has forced suppliers to cut ahead of their scheduled harvests, lowering case weights and overall yields
- Markets are forecast to climb over the next 7 to 14 days
- MFC Premium Iceberg and Romaine are available; MBA is being substituted due to low case weights and quality concerns
- Abnormal humidity has continued to cause varying levels of internal burn, growth crack, seeder, and salt and pepper; mildew and thrip damage are also prevalent due to persistently warm soil temperatures
- INSV and Sclerotinia are of special concern, affecting romaine hearts especially
- Regional/local deals forecast a rise in romaine prices through September; expect strong demand for West Coast supplies
- The iceberg market is gearing up for another increase this week; prices will remain elevated for at least the next 10-14 days
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.