California green leaf, iceberg, and romaine supplies have been impacted by disease pressure and higher-than-normal temperatures, particularly in South Salinas Valley. Prices continue to climb.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Premium Green Leaf is available; Markon Best Available (MBA) is being substituted due to low case weights and quality concerns
- Warm weather, particularly in southern Salinas Valley, have resulted in dense heads, fringe burn, pest pressure, and weak tip, reducing harvestable yields and shelf-life
- Mildew pressure, due to high humidity, has forced suppliers to cut ahead of their acreage, lowering case weights and overall yields
- Markets are forecast to continue to climb over the next 7 to 14 days; stocks will remain adequate
- MFC Premium Iceberg and Romaine are available; MBA is being substituted due to low case weights and quality concerns
- Recent heat and humidity will continue to cause varying levels of internal burn, growth crack, seeder, and salt and pepper; mildew and thrip damage are also prevalent due to persistently warm soil temperatures
- Romaine prices will rise through August; regional/local deals are winding down, increasing demand for West Coast supplies
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.