Iceberg and romaine supplies remain extremely limited. Green leaf yields are lower than in recent weeks, although readily available. Demand is strong.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Premium Green Leaf is available
- Green leaf quality is above average with minimal defects
- Insect pressure is an industrywide problem
- MFC Premium Iceberg and Romaine are sporadic; Markon Best Available is being substituted as needed due to low weights
- Below-normal weights and small head size are industrywide issues, particularly in iceberg crops
- Romaine lots are being affected with varying levels of epidermal blistering and peeling; insect pressure has increased
- Low volume will persist through the seasonal harvesting transitions in March and April
- Huron production begins in mid- to late March
- The Arizona/California desert season will end in late March to early April
- The Salinas season is forecast to start in early to mid-April
- Markets are anticipated to remain steady next week; expect elevated prices until the transition to the Salinas Valley is completed and industry volume normalizes
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.