Iceberg and romaine supplies continue to tighten throughout the industry due to inconsistent weather patterns in the Arizona/California desert region. Green leaf supplies are more readily available, although industry volume is lower compared to recent weeks. Strong demand is pushing up prices.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Premium Green Leaf and Romaine are available
- Green leaf quality is above average with minimal defects; insect pressure has increased
- Romaine lots are being affected with varying levels of epidermal blistering and peeling; harvesting crews must trim heads significantly in order to pack the cleanest boxes possible
- MFC Premium Iceberg is sporadic; Markon Best Available is being substituted as needed due to low weights
- Quality is average
- Below-normal weights and small size are industry issues
- Low volume will persist until Huron production begins in mid- to late March; the Salinas season is forecast to start in early to mid-April
- Expect elevated prices until the transitions to Huron and Salinas are completed
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.