Extremely low temperatures are forecast for next week in Eastern and Southern Idaho. This cold weather will affect potato production and delay loading times.
- Temperatures need to be 18 degrees F or higher for five to seven hours of the day to haul potatoes from cellars to packing sheds
- If low temperatures persist, packing hours may be reduced (for example, from eight to four hours)
- Growers do not ship potatoes to packing sheds when temperatures are below 18 degrees F to avoid freezing raw product
- Loading delays are likely due to short production windows
- Markets have eased recently with weak demand, but could see an increase for a week or so, if production schedules are significantly impacted
- Below is next week’s weather forecast:
|February 2022 Idaho Falls, ID – Local Weather|
|Hi: 33°||Hi: 22°||Hi: 17°||Hi: 17°||Hi: 17°||Hi: 21°||Hi: 26°|
|Lo: 18°||Lo: 1°||Lo: -3°||Lo: -2°||Lo: -3°||Lo: 3°||Lo: 3°|
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.