Cilantro markets continue to fall; supplies are increasing on California’s Central Coast.
- Ready-Set-Serve (RSS) Washed & Trimmed Cilantro is available
- Quality has improved from prior weeks; yellowing and premature breakdown are much less prevalent
- The primary quality issue has been seeder, brought on by high temperatures in the growing regions
- Warm weather and long days encourage reproductive growth in plants; frilly shoots are being observed in final packs (see photos)
- While mostly an aesthetic defect and almost impossible to detect once product has been processed/chopped, Markon is working with suppliers to minimize
- Younger plantings from Salinas, Santa Maria, and Oxnard, California are entering the market with less seeder
- Markets are expected to remain relatively low for the next one to two weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.