Chipping potato storage supplies continue to wind down. Suppliers will ration remaining stocks.
- Current demand far exceeds available supply levels; growers are allocating limited storage stocks until new crop production starts
- Quality continues to weaken in finished packs
- External defects exceeding the USDA standard tolerance of 10 percent will be seen
- Internal defects surpassing 5 percent the USDA tolerance may also be present
- Suppliers are sorting through product that would normally be culled out in order to fulfill orders
- Operators may consider shifting to gold/yellow or Russet potatoes until new crop chipping potatoes become available
- Remaining stocks will exhibit multiple quality concerns including discoloration, thin skins, pressure and shoulder bruising, and mixed sizing
- California harvesting is expected to begin June 14
- Arizona’s production will start by early July
- New Mexico will harvest in mid-August
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.