Chipping potato storage supplies are tightening. New crop harvesting typically begins early June.
- To extend storage stocks, suppliers are filling orders based on six-week averages
- Quality continues to weaken in finished pack-outs
- External defects exceeding the USDA standard tolerance of 10 percent will be seen
- Internal defects surpassing 5 percent the USDA tolerance will also be present
- Suppliers are sorting through product that would normally be culled out in order to fill orders
- Some operators may consider shifting to gold/yellow or Russet potatoes until new crop chipping potatoes become available
- Remaining stocks will exhibit multiple quality concerns:
- Thin skins
- Pressure and shoulder bruising
- Mixed sizing
- California is expected to begin harvesting in early June
- Arizona’s production will start by early July
- New Mexico will harvest in mid-August
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved