Chipping potato storage supplies are tightening. New crop harvesting typically begins early June in California.
- To extend storage supplies, suppliers will be allocating or filling orders based on six-week averages
- Suppliers are sorting through product that would normally be culled out in order to fulfill orders
- Some operators may consider shifting to gold/yellow or Russet potatoes until new crop chipping potatoes become available
- Remaining stocks will exhibit multiple quality concerns:
- Thin skins
- Pressure and shoulder bruising
- Mixed sizing
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.