Favorable weather in the Salinas/Watsonville growing region has improved quality and increased overall supply. Quality issues continue to be reported out of Santa Maria, California as supplies wind down on the remaining crop. Markets show a decline heading into next week.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Strawberries are not available due to quality problems; the remaining crop will exhibit at least 20% bruising and 3% decay
- Growers continue to cull fruit, limiting supply
- Berry size is small, ranging from 24 to 30 berries per one-pound clam shell
- Quality will not improve through the month of August
- New crop fall production is on schedule to start in late August/early September
- Markon recommends quick inventory turns due to the extremely limited shelf-life
- MFC Strawberries are available
- Quality is average yet improving with ideal temperatures
- Berry size ranges from 18 to 22; expect softness and bruising on arrival
- Markets are set to decrease next week as overall supply has improved with slightly lower demand
Markon will continue to procure the best quality strawberries avaialble in both regions during this period.
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.