California strawberry quality continues to recover after heavy rainfall in all California growing regions. Expect to see quality challenges and elevated markets for the next 7-10 days.
Santa Maria and Oxnard, California
- Volume remains limited; harvesting has been impacted by rain and cold overnight temperatures
- Quality concerns include soft skin, decay, white shoulders, and pin rot
- The industry is in a demand-exceeds-supply situation
- Expect strong demand and elevated markets through the month of November
- The season has begun; volume is beginning to increase after a slow start to the season
- Size is medium (approximately 19 to 23 berries per one-pound clamshell)
- Limited quantities have begun to cross into McAllen, Texas; volume will increase in late November/early December as size and quality improves
- Harvesting has begun in a very limited way; fruit will hit the market in early December
- Orders for Markon First Crop Strawberries are estimated to begin shipping the week of December 12
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.