The California Valencia season is coming to an end. Supplies of 113- to 138-count fruit continue to tighten. California’s Navel season has begun in a limited manner.
- California Valencia supplies are expected to ship through the week of October 24
- Quality has deteriorated; heat from last summer, lack of water, and necessary gassing are taking a toll on fruit
- Volume is dominated by 56- and 72-count packs; choice grade fruit is plentiful
- Small-size fruit (113- to 138-count packs) will be extremely limited for the rest of the Valencia season
- Sugar levels are at 13 to 16 Brix; high sugar levels can result in a shorter shelf-life
- Expect prices for small size packs to rise
- The California Navel harvest has begun; volume will ramp up over the next three to four weeks
- Current volume is dominated by 113- and 138-count packs; fancy grade fruit is plentiful
- Sugar levels range from 10 to 12 Brix
- The early variety fruit requires gassing for a minimum of 72 hours to de-green
- Expect prices for large sizes (56- and 72-count packs) to increase
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.