Cabbage markets are elevated; supplies are tight.
- The Salinas Valley growing season is off to a slow start
- The heat waves experienced in June reduced yields as disease/insect pressure and more seeder core developed
- Lower yields per acre have significantly reduced availability for processors, driving carton markets higher
- Central Coastal California suppliers harvested ahead of schedule last month to avoid quality issues, causing a supply gap until second plantings mature
- East Coast cabbage stocks remain limited
- The Eastern North Carolina season is finished, while the Western North Carolina volume is low
- Production is getting underway in Ohio, Michigan, New Jersey, and New York
- Large and jumbo sizes are scarce; stocks are dominated by medium heads
- Expect limited supplies and elevated prices over the next 10-14 days
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.