West Coast cabbage markets are elevated; supplies are tight. East Coast supplies are ample.
- Arizona/California desert stocks will be depleted this week
- The Salinas Valley growing season is off to a slow start
- Cooler temperatures have reduced head size and weight
- Lower yields per acre have significantly reduced availability for processors
- As a result, West Coast cabbage volume has fallen significantly this week
- The Texas season has ended; Mexican supplies (crossing into South Texas) will begin shipping in late May/early June
- The Florida season has ended, however, Georgia is in full swing with ample stocks
- North Carolina harvesting will begin next week
- East Coast commodity cabbage is in sufficient supply with steady to lower pricing expected over the next few weeks
- Expect low West Coast volume and elevated prices through the month of May
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.