Prices for Brussels sprouts are rising. Production is limited as a result of lower yields and reduced harvesting capacity.
- Temperatures in Mexicali, Mexico registered in the mid-90s to low 100s last week; this heat spike stalled plant growth and slowed sprout production
- Harvests have also been sporadic due to limited labor during Holy Week
- Size is dominated by small and medium sprouts; jumbo sizes are tighter but remain readily available
- A limited supply of sprouts are being harvested domestically in Santa Maria, California
- Oxnard, California production is scheduled to start mid-May
- Salinas Valley harvests will follow in early to mid-June
- Prices are expected to remain elevated for the next two to three weeks until yields in Mexicali rebound
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.