Prices are elevated. Production is wrapping up in the Arizona/California desert and Central Mexico. Markon First Crop (MFC) Broccoli is extremely limited; packer label is being substituted as needed.
Arizona/California Desert and Northern Baja, Mexico
- Volume and quality have fallen rapidly over the past week as both seasons end
- Warm weather has caused quality challenges
- Yellow and brown bead
- Bracketing (long branchy stems)
Salinas and Santa Maria, California
- Demand for California/domestic broccoli has increased due to Mexican volume decreasing quickly
- Cool nighttime weather has slowed the maturation of Salinas and Santa Maria Valley’s crops
- Quality ranges from very good to excellent, with tight crowns and consistent color
- Starting next week, MFC Iceless Broccoli Crowns will be field packed in non-liner wax boxes
- Overall industry supplies are meeting demand, but will remain tight through the harvesting transition
- Expect elevated prices through late April
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.