Prices are slightly elevated. Industry-wide quality challenges are hindering yields at the field level. Markon First Crop (MFC) Broccoli Crowns are limited in Salinas, California and South Texas; Markon Best Available (MBA) and packer label may be substituted as needed.
California – Salinas and Santa Maria Valleys
- Brown bead and yellowing remain the primary quality concerns as we approach the end of the 2023 Salinas and Santa Maria seasons
- Hollow cores with bracketed crown structures are being observed in many lots
- This year’s West Coast plantings were lighter due to spring flooding; industry supplies are lean and pricing remains elevated as acreage begins to dwindle
- Mexican product remains available in South Texas at lower FOB pricing
- Heat related quality challenges being reported by Markon inspectors include heavy presence of hollow core, bracketed crown structure, and cat eye
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.