Prices are elevated and likely to rise more amid industry-wide quality challenges.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Broccoli Crowns are limited in Salinas, California and South Texas; Markon Best Available (MBA) and packer label will be substituted as needed to maintain quality
- Warm weather, strong winds, and high humidity across the Santa Maria and Salinas Valleys has accelerated growth but introduced several quality challenges
- Brown bead is the primary concern but yellowing is also being reported in most lots
- Hollow cores with bracketed crown structures are being observed in many lots where heat has been extreme
- This year’s plantings were lighter due to spring flooding; low returns, combined with quality challenges, are keeping industry supplies lean and prices elevated
- Mexican broccoli is available in South Texas at slightly lower pricing this week, but quality is fair at best with defects like cat eye and yellowing being reported
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.