Industry supplies will not sufficiently meet demand through the month of April. Expect elevated prices through the entire month.
Yuma, Arizona/Imperial and Santa Maria Valleys, California
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Broccoli is available in Yuma, Arizona; packer label is being substituted as needed to fill orders.
- Supplies are quickly diminishing in the desert; decreased quality has reduced yields at the field level, driving prices higher
- Production in Santa Maria is expected to be delayed by two to three weeks due to heavy rains, flooding, and cool weather
- Salinas Valley fields have been opened, but will not ramp up to meet demand until late April or early May
Mexico (into South Texas)
- MFC Broccoli is available
- Prices are lower this week as weather conditions have been moderate and supplies are abundant in Guanajuato and Queretaro
- Markon is encouraging DCs to load FOB in Texas to capture sizeable price spread between Mexican-grown and domestic markets
- Demand for Mexican product will increase as the West Coast transition begins and supplies decrease
- Quality is very good; some mechanical damage has been noted along with occasional mildew
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved