Green bell pepper prices are lower as supplies increase in California and Florida. Markon First Crop (MFC) and Markon Essentials (ESS) Green and Red Bell Peppers are available.
- California-grown MFC Green Bell Peppers will become available May 9; Mexican-grown supplies will be on the market through May 14
- California’s Imperial Valley is well underway; stocks are ample
- Quality is very good: color is deep and walls are thick
- Medium-size stocks are snug
- The Mexican season will wrap up over the next couple of weeks
- Harvests are dominated by small sizes
- Quality is merely average: peppers are not recommended for long travel
- East Coast production has increased
- The Plant City, Florida season is underway
- Some Georgia growers will start harvesting next week
- Expect markets to ease over the next two weeks
- California-grown MFC Red Bell Peppers are anticipated to start shipping on May 30
- The Mexican season will run through early June
- Supplies are tight
- Quality is average with reports of color/scarring during packout
- The California season is expected to start in a very light way next week
- Significant volume is still a few weeks away
- Consistently hot weather (90-100F) is needed to turn peppers red
- Canadian greenhouses are producing good quality extra-large and large red bell peppers
- Florida stocks are minimal
- Expect markets to increase slightly until California volume increases
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.