Asparagus markets have been on the rise the entire month of July, especially for larger sizes (extra-large and jumbo).
- Industrywide volume has declined about 10% over the last 14 days, and is forecast to decline another 5% through the month of August to about 900,000 cases
- Peruvian asparagus (shipped into Florida) is supplementing the market on the East Coast, but volume isn’t high enough to hold prices steady
- Supplies are tightening as Central Mexico’s season winds down, transitioning to new crop production in the Northern Baja region
- Production in Baja, Mexico will begin over the next 14-21 days, although periodic rain events may slow down maturation
- The late summer Baja harvest is widely regarded as a premium crop from Mexico as far as quality goes
- Expect prices to remain elevated through early August
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.