West Coast asparagus markets continue to rise as Mexico’s Northern Baja region is past peak production. Markon First Crop Asparagus is available, however larger sizes (extra-large and jumbo) are extremely limited on the West Coast.
- Large sizes remain tight; Central Mexico’s season has ended, concentrating all demand on Northern Baja
- Storm damaged fields along with warm, wet conditions last month in Northern Baja have created conditions for faster spear growth, than normal
- Growers are now forced to cut ahead of schedules, due to the rapid growth (length), not allowing the spears to increase their diameter
- Prices for all sizes will remain high through November as volume declines
- Peruvian asparagus (mainly imported through Florida) is being flown to the West Coast to supplement larger sizes
- Volume is strong, as Peruvian growers are in peak production (September through December)
- Expect overall market demand to increase as Thanksgiving nears
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.