Please click here to view a Markon Live from the Fields video regarding seeder/long core in lettuce items from the Salinas, California growing region.
- Unseasonably warm and humid weather in June and early July has caused many lettuce crops to develop seeder/long core
- Markon inspectors have mostly been able to avoid seeder concerns for Markon First Crop commodity packs
- Value-added processors have had a hard time eliminating core from incoming raw product and finished packs
- Chopped or shredded romaine and iceberg-based salads in particular have been difficult to keep completely free of core material
- Temperatures are above normal again this week, which could prolong seeder and other heat-related issues into late July
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for further information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.