Please click here to view a Markon Live from the Fields video regarding light lettuce ice in the Salinas Valley and upcoming rain in the forecast.
- Morning temperatures have dipped into the mid-30°s to low 40°s in the Salinas Valley this week
- Colder areas of the Salinas Valley have experienced light lettuce ice over the past few days
- Harvesting crews for lettuce and tender leaf items are being delayed 2-3 hours or until ice has fully thawed
- The ice is expected to have minimal impact on quality in the few remaining lettuce crops in the area
- A half inch-to 1½” of rain is forecast for Sunday through Tuesday, November 6-8, and is expected to have greater impact on quality and shelf life
- Significant harvesting and loading delays can be expected for Salinas-based commodity and value-added items throughout next week
- Better quality and yields are slowly becoming available out of the desert growing region
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for further information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.