Please click here to view a Markon Live from the Fields video regarding epidermal peel in romaine lettuce from the desert growing region.
- The Arizona/California desert growing region has experienced an early cold weather pattern with multiple mornings of freezing temperatures
- Epidermal blister and peel are now present in some lettuce crops as a result
- Romaine is typically the most affected, but some varieties are impacted more than others
- Markon inspectors are working with suppliers to secure the best product for commodity and value-added packs
- Harvesting and processing crews will work to remove as much of the defect as possible, but won’t be able to eliminate it completely
- Warmer weather is forecast this week, but the effects of all the early cold weather will be felt for several weeks to come
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for further information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.