Although barbecue is a year-round customer favorite, summer is when this style of eating hits its peak. Smoky, umami flavors paired with classic and updated produce sides bring the grill inside.
- Kansas City. Low and slow smoked meats rubbed with caramelized sugar are hallmarks of this hugely popular style. Great pairings include baked beans, mayonnaise-based coleslaw, stewed collard greens, and fried okra.
- Carolina. Centered on whole-hog roasting with a vinegar-based mop sauce, this style pairs best with red vinegar slaw, black-eyed peas, and mayonnaise-based potato salad.
- Memphis. Best known for tender pulled pork with a thinner, tangy sauce, side dishes for this style include hush puppies, corn on the cob, Southern green beans, and barbecue spaghetti.
- Texas. Beef is king in this state, especially ribs and brisket, cooked with a dry rub. Sides popular with this style are vinegar-based potato salad with egg, spicy pinto beans, creamed corn, and collard greens.
SEASONAL PRODUCE CHECKLIST
- Coleslaws: Ready-Set-Serve (RSS) Fine Shredded Cabbage, RSS Heart-Y Slaw, RSS Shredded Red Cabbage, and RSS Super Slaw.
- Potato Salads: MFC Idaho Potatoes, RSS Shredded Carrots, RSS Washed & Trimmed Green Onions, and RSS Sliced Onions.
- Vegetable Sides: RSS Trimmed Green Beans, RSS Chopped Collard Greens, RSS Broccoli Florets, fresh okra, and corn on the cob.
- Salads: RSS Kale Color Crunch, RSS Heritage Blend, RSS Romaine Hearts, and RSS Hearts & Hearts.