The slow-moving low-pressure system that brought significant rainfall to Southern California over the past few days is now over the Arizona/California desert region. Heavy rain started falling early this morning and may bring anywhere from .75” in the Coachella region to over an inch in Yuma.
Grower/shippers have been packing ahead in anticipation of the rain and most will cancel harvest activities today and possibly tomorrow pending field conditions and demand.
Rain-related challenges that can be expected over the next several days included:
- Harvesting, production, and loading delays due to wet/muddy fields
- Sporadic dirt/mud in some commodity and value-added packs
- Elevated mechanical damage and/or bruising
- Premature pinking in some lettuce packs
- Reduced shelf-life due to high moisture content
Markon inspectors will continue to monitor conditions and update further as needed.
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.