Fresh-run, new crop Markon First Crop (MFC) Norkotah Potatoes are currently be shipped out of Idaho and Washington. Limited supplies of MFC Idaho Burbank Potatoes will hit the market this week.
- Norkotahs will be the primary variety shipped until spring
- More Norkotahs will be harvested than in past seasons
- Over the past several years, Idaho Norkotah performance has improved and is now comparable to Burbank variety, exhibiting higher solid content and less moisture
- Many growers favor Norkotahs as they have a shorter growing cycle and exhibit higher yields, stronger quality, and better size profile than the Burbank variety
- Expect limited availability of Burbanks through February
- Burbanks are more suited for late-season storage; however, growers continue to plant fewer each year
- The North American Potato Market News predicts another decline in Burbank market share
- In 2021/2022, Idaho suppliers packed close to 60% Norkotahs, compared to over 40% Burbanks
- With an already expected decline in overall potato volume from last season, the percentage gap will widen in favor of Norkotahs
- Below is data compiled by the Idaho and Eastern Oregon Potato Committee showing Burbank and Norkotah shipment comparisons since 1992
- Expect Burbanks to be $1.00-$3.00 higher than Norkotahs, depending on pack size
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.