Live From the Fields: Salinas Valley Heat. Salinas, CA
Please view a Markon Live from the Fields video about the development of sun burn on lettuce crops from California’s Salinas Valley.
- Markon First Crop Premium Green Leaf, Iceberg, and Romaine Lettuces are limited; Markon Best Available is being substituted as needed
- California’s Salinas Valley experienced record-breaking temperatures in the mid-90s to mid-100s on September 1 and 2.
- The extreme heat took a toll on lettuce crops, causing dehydration, sun burn, and wilting that can’t be avoided completely by harvesting/processing crews
- Other heat-related quality and shelf-life concerns are expected to develop and last for at least the next two weeks
- Markon inspectors are monitoring commodity and value-added supplies closely and working with suppliers to select the best available product
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for further information.
©2017 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.